Clean eating | Dairy-free option | Soy-free option | Gluten-free option | Nut-free
My girls LOVE Taco Night. Something about being in charge of their own meal and what goes in it. Not to mention it’s messy, which makes it fun. But I’m going to be honest: it’s not always been my favorite. First, the taco seasoning packets. Gross, am I right? Have you seen those ingredient labels?! Well, Alton Brown’s taco seasoning takes care of that REALLY quick. And clean too! Make it once and keep it in a small jar or even a little Ziploc bag to use a couple tablespoons at a time.
Second, as a mom, I find that once I’ve assembled everyone’s burritos the way they want them, once I get mine assembled and sit down, the meat is cold. That’s where this new crock pot recipe comes in. It features the same taco seasoning as our usual ground turkey, but the meat stays warm as long as I need it to! Plus more veggies! It came from an unlikely source: one of those easy video recipes you see in your Facebook feed that are usually semi-homemade, from processed ingredients. But with this easy and clean taco seasoning, it’s a cinch to keep the artificial junk out.
Clean Taco Seasoning
Original recipe here
- up to 2 Tbsp. chili powder, depending on how spicy you want it
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika (he uses hot smoked, I use Hungarian–both are delicious)
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- up to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you want it
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl or jar.
- Store in an airtight container (jar or Ziploc bag) for up to 1 month.
Slow Cooker Easy Chicken Fajitas
Adapted from here
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (see above)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained (check the ingredient label on this one; sometimes spices and preservatives are added here)
- For serving: tortillas (use whole-grain or gluten-free and check ingredient labels for hidden soy and other junk), cheese, sour cream, beans, avocado slices, or anything else that sounds tasty!
- Place half of the sliced peppers and onion in the bottom of your slow cooker. Lay the chicken on top, coating on all sides with taco seasoning. Top with garlic, drained tomatoes, lime juice, and remaining peppers and onion.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and cut or shred, then return it to the crock pot for 10 more minutes (on LOW) to absorb more of the juices, while you prep your toppings.
- Assemble tacos/burritos/fajitas however you want!