I feel like tomato soup is just ideal for Valentine’s Day. If you’re not in Florida, where it hit 80 today, it’s still cold enough for soup in February. Plus, the soup is PINK! Could this be any more perfect? Yes, if you add a heart-shaped sandwich!
For our little family, I made a half recipe of this creamy tomato soup, with one tweak, & then served it with grilled cheese sandwiches on whole-wheat bread cut into heart shapes with a large cookie cutter. Comforting & delicious! (Oh, & lower in fat than a cream-based soup!)
Here’s how I made it:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 3 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped, plus additional leaves, chiffonade, for garnish
- 3 oz. softened Neufchatel cheese
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 can (15 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion & garlic & saute about 2 minutes, until tender.
- Reduce heat to low & add paprika, basil, & cream cheese. Gradually stir in milk & soup & stir until smooth.
- Turn heat back up to medium & add tomatoes, stirring constantly & breaking up tomatoes further by squashing them with the back of a wooden spoon, until hot.
- Serve with heart-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches!