Dairy-free | Soy-free | Gluten-free | Nut-free | Paleo option | Clean eating
I hear it’s winter somewhere. We’ve had highs in the 70s almost every day, so it’s often weird to remember that there’s snow on the ground in literally every other state but ours. For those poor cold souls, here’s a nice shot of summer freshness for you!
With the option to make it a warm, comforting, but still fresh and bright, meal too!
This is another winner from my good friend Jessica. She texted the recipe to me as soon as it was pronounced delicious by her family, and I couldn’t wait to get it on our meal plan! But I knew I’d have to make some kind of modification for my non-salad-eating girls. So here’s what I did: I cooked up a batch of jasmine rice. Yep, that’s all. (I’ll share how I make it extra delicious in a second.)
For myself and my husband, I made the salads. The tangy dressing with the delicious marinade, creamy avocado, and peppery bite of the grilled veggies – so good.
But THEN, put the chicken and veggies on top of the savory rice, and the whole flavor profile changes! The marinated chicken takes on a completely different personality! I’m still floored by how versatile this fresh marinade is. (The marinade, which doubles as the dressing, does have chili flakes in it, but it really doesn’t translate to spicy heat, just great zesty flavor.) I can’t wait for leftovers!
Grilled Chili Lime Fajita Salad (or Rice Bowl)
Original recipe here
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 100ml (just over 1/3 cup, or about 4 limes) fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro (1 Tbsp dried works just fine)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and rough chopped
- 1 tsp honey (or brown sugar)
- 3/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 3 breasts, or a combo (I haven’t decided which I like better!), no more than 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced, and 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced (or if you’re in a pinch like me, just use a whole orange pepper!)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- lettuce leaves
- avocado, sliced
- optional: additional cilantro for garnish
- optional: sour cream, to serve
For every cup of dry jasmine rice, add:
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine marinade ingredients in a liquid measuring cup and whisk well to emulsify.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish; pour half of marinade over chicken. Cover remaining marinade with plastic wrap and save in the fridge to use as salad dressing. Marinate chicken 2 hours or all day.
- If making rice, start the rice. Cover and simmer on low 15 minutes, then leave covered until ready to serve.
- Heat your grill pan to medium-high and spray with soy-free cooking spray. Grill chicken until done on both sides, with nice grill marks. (I like to cover the pan while the second side cooks so that it heats evenly.) When done, set it aside on a warm plate and cover to rest.
- Remove any burned bits from the grill pan, spray again with cooking spray, and add the pepper and onion slices. Grill to desired doneness.
- Slice chicken into strips, then build your salad or rice bowl:
Salad: lettuce, avocado, sliced chicken, and pepper and onion slices. Whisk the dressing again and pour over the salad.
Rice bowl: rice, sliced chicken, pepper and onion slices, and anything else that sounds good!