What would you say if I told you that, during our time living in Switzerland, Make-Your-Own Salad Night was my girls’ single most requested meal?
I wouldn’t have believed me either.
But it’s true. When so many other things were different from what they were used to, we could count on the produce at our corner market to be both familiar and amazingly fresh. The bottle of Ranch dressing we brought with us helped too. (Don’t worry–I have a delicious clean dressing recipe at the bottom.)
Since returning, it’s still one of the few meals that don’t get any pushback or “how many bites?” Because they can make it how they want. Both of my big girls prefer to separate all the ingredients on their plates and eat one at a time.
You can make this your own; I’m a big fan of fruity salads, so I just keep it simple with chopped apples, seasoned chicken breast, and balsamic vinaigrette, but I pull out as many of my girls’ favorite raw veggies and fruits as they can fit on their plates, and it all gets eaten! Tailor this to your (and your kids’) preferences and any dietary needs, and every once in awhile, add something that’s a little bit of a stretch for them to let them try: kale instead of spinach, for a start.
If making your own dressing sounds intimidating, start with this one. It has 4 ingredients and all you do is shake. Plus, you know what’s in it, and most importantly, what’s not in it.
Do you do a Make-Your-Own Salad Night? What do you include?
Chicken Apple Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Greens of choice
- Chicken breast, seasoned as desired and grilled or broiled
- apple, diced
- 1/4 cup GOOD-quality balsamic vinegar (trust me, it’s important)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or other light-tasting oil (avoid olive oil)
- 2 tsp prepared Dijon mustard, no-sugar-added
- 1/2 tsp (or more, to taste) dried Italian herbs
- dash salt
- Assemble greens, chicken, and apple.
- Add vinaigrette ingredients to a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake vigorously until well incorporated. Drizzle over salad and enjoy!
Adapted from here
Dairy-free | Soy-free | Gluten-free | Nut-free | Clean eating | Paleo