Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Nut-free
I haven’t posted in over 4 years, but I’m sharing this recipe today because, selfishly, I want to remember the changes I made to it. I’ve been in a rut and it’s the first new recipe in a WHILE that the kids have ALL eaten without complaint. Thank goodness!
Supposedly it’s based on the Rumbi rice bowls, but I’ve never eaten there and I hear they’re not that great anyway, so don’t let that deter you, haha!
Hawaiian Coconut Rice & Beans (original recipe here – we just did a half recipe for our family)
- 2 cups white rice – we used Jasmine
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 14-oz can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Tamari sauce
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 3 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- up to 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
Stir Fry Chicken & Vegetables (adapted from here)
- 2 Tbsp canola or other high-heat oil, divided
- 2 chicken breasts, 1-inch dice
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 zucchini, chopped into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- salt & pepper
- optional: a few shakes of Tamari sauce
- Combine rice & bean ingredients in a pot with lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover & reduce heat to med-low or low; let simmer 18-20 min or until rice is tender.
- While rice is cooking, combine sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and continue stirring until sauce thickens and turns lighter in color. Remove from heat until ready to serve. This sauce will keep in a covered container in your fridge for up to a week.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over med-high heat. Season chicken breast chunks with salt & pepper, then add to skillet and saute until browned and cooked through, 3-5 min. Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil in same pan. Add broccoli florets first and stir fry about 1-2 min. Add carrot matchsticks and stir fry a couple min more. Finally add zucchini and stir fry until all veggies are crisp tender, seasoning with salt & pepper and a couple shakes of soy sauce.
- Add chicken to skillet and combine. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve: start with rice & beans, then top with chicken & veggies. Serve sauce on the side for dipping, or drizzle a couple Tbsp over the top of the stir fry. Enjoy!