When the weather gets cooler — & trust me, the 60-degree lows we’ve experienced around here the past few days have actually been sweatshirt-worthy — I start craving the comfort food. This is, as the title would suggest, the ultimate comfort food. It’s warm, creamy, savory, & you hardly even have to chew! How’s that for comfort?
My friend Kelli made this for us years ago, when we were first married. It was so delicious I couldn’t believe how easy it was. I’ve lightened it up just a tiny bit since. It heats up great for leftovers; just be sure to cook up enough rice to serve with it later!
Creamy Crock Pot Chicken
- 4-6 frozen chicken breasts, depending on size
- 1 pkt. powdered Italian dressing mix
- 3/4 stick (6 Tbsp.) butter
- 8 oz. Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese), softened
- 1 can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup (Campbell’s or Kroger brand)
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle dressing mix evenly over top. Slice up butter into chunks & distribute evenly on top of that.
- Cook on low 5 hours or high 3 hours.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Add soup & cream cheese; mix well.
- Let sit in warm Crock Pot several minutes to allow cream cheese to melt.
- Stir again & serve over rice.
What is your ultimate comfort food?