Dairy-free | Soy-free | Nut-free | Gluten-free | Clean eating
I put an asterisk by the word “Curry” because it’s not as traditional a curry as I usually make. And if you’ve stuck around here awhile, you know how I am about my curries. BUT – that doesn’t make this dish any less delicious. Kind of like a stew or a ghoulash with a different array of spices. My husband called this, “like my mom’s beef tips, but with curry powder.” So there you go. That’s the best we can describe it. The low, slow cooking tenderizes the stew beef to fork-tender, making this my girls’ new favorite stew.
Slow Cooker Curried Beef Stew
Adapted from here
- 2 lbs cubed stew beef
- 1 1/2 lbs petite red or yellow potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 28-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- optional: 2 Tbsp cornstarch, to thicken
- Place the beef, potatoes, and carrots in the slow cooker. Add the spices and garlic and toss to coat.
- Pour tomatoes and coconut milk over the top, then cover and cook on low 7 hours.
- If desired, 20 minutes before serving, stir in cornstarch, then re-cover until ready to serve.
- Serve over jasmine rice (or brown rice, for clean eating).