Dairy-free | Soy-free | Nut-free | Gluten-free | Clean eating | Paleo option
Lately I’d been finding myself both in a dinner-making rut, and feeling lazy about our clean eating; I wonder if the two are related!
Then one day I found a new recipe for the most delicious-looking and easy green beans. I’m generally not too good at the vegetable side dish thing, to be honest; I try to incorporate the veggies in the dish itself and serve fresh fruit or salad on the side because I want to do as little extra cooking as possible, especially on a weeknight. But these just looked worth it. So I went looking for a good, and easy, chicken recipe to complement it. And I was blown away by the flavor! Usually you need to marinate a chicken breast for hours to get this kind of flavor and tenderness, but here you just brush on a spice rub that took literally 2 minutes to combine! Suffice it to say, this has become one of my favorite weeknight meals. I serve it with brown rice to bulk up the meal, but you can easily omit that, especially if you’re trying to eat paleo or low-carb. I start the green beans first, and as long as the chicken breasts aren’t too thick (tonight mine were), everything finishes at once.
Honey-Dijon Green Beans
Original recipe here
- 1 lb green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- 1-2 Tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tbsp organic Dijon mustard
- coarse Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together oil, honey, and mustard into an emulsion until very well combined.
- Add the green beans and use a rubber spatula to coat them thoroughly and evenly with the mustard mixture.
- Spread the beans in a single layer on the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 7 minutes, then remove and carefully flip the beans. Return to the oven for another 6 minutes or until crisped and glazed. (Aren’t they pretty???)
Flavorful Grilled Chicken with Spice Rub
Original recipe here
- 2-3 chicken breasts, halved (make sure they’re less than 3/4 inch thick or they won’t cook evenly)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the spices and olive oil.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Brush the spice mixture onto both sides of the chicken using a silicone brush or small spatula.
- Grill 4-5 minutes to a side until no longer pink in the middle.
- Enjoy with green beans and maybe some brown rice!