Clean Eating | Dairy-free | Soy-free | Nut-free | Gluten-free
Happy New Year! Anyone else feeling a little sluggish after all of the treats and traveling and lack of schedule? I’m beyond ready to get back on track and back in control of normal, healthy life.
This easy crock pot meal is a staple in our home, especially on Thursdays when we have swimming until 5pm. I love being able to come home to this delicious smell and serve up a warm, comforting, healthy meal to my wet-haired, often shivering–yes, even in Florida–young ones. I make the rice before we leave and it’s still warm when we get home to eat. The chicken practically shreds itself when you stir in the final ingredients, and the sweet potatoes soften to make the texture rich and creamy.
Crock Pot Chicken-Chickpea Curry
Original recipe here
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 8-oz can tomato sauce OR 1/2 can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- optional: up to 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 med. onion, thinly sliced
- 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- cooked brown (for clean eating) or Basmati rice
- In the bottom of your slow cooker, whisk together first 6 ingredients until incorporated.
- Add chicken, onions, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes; use tongs to toss until coated with curry mixture.
- Cook on low 8 hours or high 3.5-4 hours.
- 5 minutes before serving, stir in peas and lemon juice, shredding chicken with the tongs.
- Serve over warm rice.