I can officially call myself a housewife: I have now cooked pork chops.
That were ridiculously on sale.
In my slow-cooker, even!
It was an interesting meal, too: The Munchkin was tired & hungry & didn’t stop screaming the entire time. She also didn’t eat a single bite of pork chop or orange. Dinner for her was a peanut butter sandwich & like 2 bites of strawberries. Eh, well, you win some, you lose some. We thought the chops tasted delicious! My Husband The Skeptical was completely won over, even though he generally doesn’t think meat should be cooked with fruit; the orange zest isn’t detectable in the taste of the finished product.
This is another one from The New Slow Cooker. You really need to get this book. Like, really. I’ve posted my alcohol-free version (no cooking wine). Also, I have to be honest: their salad dressing was super bitter. So I’ve included the tastier orange vinaigrette dressing I like, from Better Homes & Gardens.
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops, each about 1 1/2 inches thick
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large shallots, halved & thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. red or white wine vinegar (it calls for white; I used red)
- zest of 2 oranges (reserve oranges for salad below)
- Season chops generously on both sides with salt & pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sear chops until golden brown on both sides, working in batches if there are too many. Remove to a plate.
- Pour off most of the fat from the pan. Return it to medium heat. Add shallots & garlic; saute until just beginning to brown.
- Pour in broth to deglaze the pan. Stir in vinegar, zest, 1/2 tsp. salt, & several shakes or grinds of pepper.
- Pour pan contents into bottom of slow cooker. Stack chops on top.
- Cover & cook on low 7 hours. (I only made 2 chops & they were done after less than 6.) Chops will be tender.
- Place one chop on each plate to serve. Drizzle some of the braising liquid over each chop. Add salad, below, & serve.
Spinach Orange Salad (with BHG dressing)
- oranges from above
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- baby spinach
- Segment oranges: Use a sharp chef’s knife to slice off the top & bottom of the fruit so you see the flesh.
- Follow the contour of the orange to slice off strips of skin & pith, revealing the fruit on all sides.
- Slice wedges out of the orange, between the membranes if you can. (I found a navel orange to be a little “sloppy” on the segmentation…) Cut into smaller pieces, if desired. Set aside.
- In a jar with a lid, or a Tupperware, combine vinegar, juice, oil, sugar, & mustard. Cover & shake well. (Your kids will love helping with this step!)
- Mound spinach onto plates, top with a few orange segments each, then drizzle with salad dressing.
Do you have a certain “housewife” dish you’ve never made either? Confession time: my other one is lasagna! Any recipe suggestions for that one?