Dairy-free | Soy-free | Nut-free | Gluten-free | Clean eating
I put an asterisk by the word “Curry” because it’s not as traditional a curry as I usually make. And if you’ve stuck around here awhile, you know how I am about my curries. BUT – that doesn’t make this dish any less delicious. Kind of like a stew or a ghoulash with a different array of spices. My husband called this, “like my mom’s beef tips, but with curry powder.” So there you go. That’s the best we can describe it. The low, slow cooking tenderizes the stew beef to fork-tender, making this my girls’ new favorite stew.
Slow Cooker Curried Beef Stew
Adapted from here
- 2 lbs cubed stew beef
- 1 1/2 lbs petite red or yellow potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 28-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- optional: 2 Tbsp cornstarch, to thicken
- Place the beef, potatoes, and carrots in the slow cooker. Add the spices and garlic and toss to coat.
- Pour tomatoes and coconut milk over the top, then cover and cook on low 7 hours.
- If desired, 20 minutes before serving, stir in cornstarch, then re-cover until ready to serve.
- Serve over jasmine rice (or brown rice, for clean eating).
Paleo | Dairy-free | Soy-free | Clean Eating | Gluten-free | Nut-free
Lesson one: No amount of processing can save a poorly lit photo. (Thanks for nothing, Standard Time.)
Lesson two: However it may look, this stew tastes incredible. And it’s easy. And clean, paleo, low-glycemic, dairy-free, soy-free, and kid-approved!
Browning the beef beforehand sounds like an extra step, but it is SO important to the full flavor of this dish. And it’s a quick way to get your kitchen already smelling delicious before you even turn on the crock pot! Put this one on your list for the cold, busy weeknights ahead. (Please send some of that cold down here to Florida!)
Paleo Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Original recipe here
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs stew beef (cubed)
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into large dice
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 Tbsp dried thyme (or 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped)
- optional, to thicken broth: 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the beef chunks, season with a little salt and pepper, and sear on all sides. Dump into your slow cooker and cover with the remaining ingredients, except tapioca starch.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours, or on low 8-9.
- Optional: if you want to thicken the broth, 30 minutes before the end of cooking time, whisk the tapioca starch with 2 Tbsp water. Pour the mixture into the stew, stirring gently, until distributed throughout, and allow it to resume cooking.
- Remove bay leaves and enjoy! In the unlikely event that there are leftovers, they reheat beautifully.