Vegan | Clean eating | Dairy-free | Soy-free | Nut-free | Gluten-free
I love Christmas traditions! Tonight we put on our Christmas PJs, made some caramel popcorn, and turned on one of our all-time favorite Christmas movies, White Christmas. My little dancers love to watch the dance numbers, and we all love this delicious caramel corn, which is completely unprocessed, making it a great clean treat that won’t weigh you down like so many other holiday foods. It’s so quick and uses ingredients that you already have in your pantry.
Clean Caramel Popcorn
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Place 1 Tbsp coconut oil in the bottom of a large, deep pot with a tight-fitting lid, preferably with a rounded bottom (a wok works great). Melt over medium-high heat. Add popcorn kernels and cover. Shake back and forth every 20 seconds or so to heat all of the kernels evenly.
- After a couple minutes, it should start popping. Continue shaking back and forth at intervals. When popping slows, remove heat immediately.
- Pour into a large bowl. In a small saucepan (or in the same big pot if you’re lazy like me), add remaining coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour caramel over popcorn, tossing to coat evenly. Then pour it all out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool a bit before enjoying. (Optional: if you like a saltier, more kettle-corn-like flavor, sprinkle a bit more sea salt over the caramel corn on the baking sheet.)
Original recipe here