Today The Munchkin & I were at A.C. Moore to pick up a few things. While perusing the seasonal section, I found a $1 Valentine’s necklace kit. The Munchkin loves bracelets, necklaces, & playing dress-up with our winter scarves, so I thought this would be the perfect little craft. The packaging said “Choking hazard. Ages 3 & up,” but so does everything, so I got it anyway.
She was so excited about her necklace that we got it out as soon as we got home to put it together. No sooner had I emptied the package than at least three beads ended up in The Munchkin’s mouth. So the next few minutes consisted of her popping bead after bead into her mouth, me having her spit them out, & then stringing each soggy bead onto the elastic before it really did become a choking hazard.
Some of them didn’t make it.
Finally I got the rest of the beads strung & the necklace tied. Here’s what happened next:
Lesson learned. I’ll be paying closer attention to those age recommendations from now on.