It was one of those days.
It had been raining for three days straight (whoever named Florida the Sunshine State was clearly not here during monsoon season) & we hadn’t been to the park or pool in at least that long. At one point I even heard The Munchkin talking in her sleep about wearing her “other swimsuit” at the swimming pool. In her sleep, people! Clearly this child needed to be outside.
But no. It was still raining. & Mommy was running out of ideas to keep both of us sane until Daddy got home after 7.
So Mommy put some chicken breasts in the sink to thaw for yet another humdrum dinner recipe, put on Mary Poppins (desperate times call for desperate measures), & sat down in front of the computer to look for a recipe for some tilapia I’d just bought on sale. I didn’t find one I loved the sound of (suggestions please!), but what I did find saved the day.
Mel’s Kitchen Cafe’s Honey Glazed Chicken got me excited about cooking again! It got My Husband The Lawyer excited to eat it when he walked in the door & smelled it! & it got The Munchkin excited to eat chicken without being bribed with grapes for once!
It sounds silly now that I’m sitting here typing this, but sometimes all it takes is a new yummy recipe to shake things up a bit & pull you out of your it’s-been-pouring-for-3-days-&-I’m-going-crazy rut to keep you sane for just one more day.
Here’s how I made it; I increased the oven temp to shorten cooking time (this recipe was a last-minute decision) & doubled the sauce recipe for you so that you have enough for your rice too — when I made it I halved the amount of chicken (3 breasts was plenty for the 3 of us) but not the sauce, & it was deeeeeelicious. Check her blog to see the real way.
- 2 lbs. chicken breast, diced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste (I’ve been loving my Steakhouse Grinder lately & used it for this)
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Preheat your oven to 350. Combine flour, garlic powder, & salt & pepper in a shallow dish.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. of your butter & pour into the bottom of a baking dish large enough to fit all of your chicken a single layer.
- Coat chicken pieces evenly in flour, then arrange in bottom of dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan on medium heat, combine remaining butter with honey, lemon juice, soy sauce, & ginger. Stir constantly until butter is melted & sauce is well blended.
- Remove chicken from oven & increase temperature to 375. Flip over each piece of chicken.
- Pour sauce evenly over chicken, then place back in the oven & bake another 20 minutes, basting with a spoon a few times (twice was fine for me) during that time. The chicken will be nice & glazed & delicious.
- Serve over rice.